|12:00 PM||Alabama at Georgia||SEC Network/WatchESPN|
|1:00 PM||Florida at Missouri||CBS/|
|2:15 PM||LSU at Texas A&M||SEC Network/WatchESPN|
|4:30 PM||Mississippi State at Ole Miss||SEC Network/WatchESPN|
|6:00 PM||Arkansas at Auburn||ESPNU/WatchESPN|
|6:45 PM||Vanderbilt at South Carolina||SEC Network/WatchESPN|
|9:00 PM||Kentucky at Tennessee||SEC Network/WatchESPN|
Today: the first of eight Saturdays with a full SEC basketball schedule, running all the way through March. You’re welcome.
Five of today’s seven games will be televised in a quintupleheader (is that a word?) on the SEC Network, but the two that aren’t are two of the more consequential ones of the day. At 1 PM ET, the Florida Gators visit Columbia West to play the Missouri Tigers in the day’s only matchup of two teams that are unbeaten in conference play. That game will be nationally televised on CBS. At 6 PM ET, ESPNU has the Auburn Tigers, 13-1 on the year, hosting the Arkansas Razorbacks. Auburn was last ranked in the AP Top 25 on January 21, 2003; it’s reasonable to think they’ll be ranked again on Monday with a win.
As far as that quintupleheader goes, though, you can be pretty well entertained if you just leave it on the SEC Network all day. It starts at noon ET with the Georgia Bulldogs hosting the Alabama Crimson Tide; it’s totally just a coincidence that these two are meeting on the hardwood two days before they meet for the national title on the gridiron. At 2:15, the Texas A&M Aggies look to snap a two-game losing streak as they host the LSU Tigers; D.J. Hogg is set to return from suspension for A&M, but they’ll still probably be shorthanded. At 4:30: Egg Bowl, Basketball Edition, with the Ole Miss Rebels hosting the Mississippi State Bulldogs.
At 6:45, the South Carolina Gamecocks look to pick up their first SEC win as they host the Vanderbilt Commodores. And at 9:00, arguably the best potential game of the day with the Tennessee Volunteers looking to snap a two-game losing streak as the Kentucky Wildcats come to town. Buckle up.
Bad Gambling Advice
Season to Date: 59-52-2 ATS
- Alabama at Georgia (-2.5): Georgia has covered four in a row and I like that streak to continue as a small home favorite.
- Florida (Pick) at Missouri: With this game being straight up, I think Florida is the better team and will get out of Columbia with a win.
- LSU (+8.5) at Texas A&M: The Aggies have been playing poorly lately, and while D.J. Hogg is returning from suspension they’re still likely to be shorthanded. I don’t think LSU wins outright but I like them getting 8 and a half.
- Mississippi State (+3) at Ole Miss: I’m still not completely sold on Mississippi State, but I’ll fade Ole Miss, which is not a very good team.
- Arkansas (+5) at Auburn: I’m sold on Auburn — but not enough to think they’ll cover 5 here. I’m violating my “Arkansas on the road” principle here, but I think Auburn wins but doesn’t cover.
- Vanderbilt at South Carolina (-3): South Carolina is desperate after an 0-2 start, and this isn’t really a good matchup for Vanderbilt, which has nobody who can really stop Chris Silva or even get him in foul trouble.
- Kentucky (+4) at Tennessee: I like Tennessee here, but not enough to lay four points. The value is on the Kentucky side in what’s likely to be a close game, regardless of who wins.