clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets 30, Georgia Bulldogs 24: The Bulldogs Lose an Overtime Thriller

After Georgia Tech looked to have the game won in the second half, the Bulldogs fought back to take a late lead. The lead would be short-lived, and the Yellow Jackets would triumph in overtime.

Dale Zanine-USA TODAY Sports

For the second straight season, Georgia and Georgia Tech went to overtime, and for the second year in a row, the visiting team ran out victorious, as Georgia Tech won 30-24 on Saturday afternoon in Athens.

The loss is the Bulldogs' first to Georgia Tech since 2008 and second of the Mark Richt Era. After Missouri clinched the SEC East championship on Friday, the loss will likely knock the Bulldogs out of a College Football Playoff-aligned bowl.

Georgia opened the game with a 10-play, 75-yard drive capped by a one-yard Nick Chubb touchdown. Chubb would go over 100 yards in the first half, but fumbles by Chubb and Sony Michel inside the Yellow Jackets' 5-yard line limited Georgia to just seven points in the first half.

The Bulldog defense limited the Tech scoring in the first half, as well. Ray Drew blocked a field goal attempt after Tech ran up a 14-play, 77-yard drive after Chubb's fumble. Following Michel's fumble, Tech's ensuing drive again lasted 14 plays, but this time was ended with a Darren Waller touchdown catch from Justin Thomas to tie the game.

Tech would have their own fumble problems in the second half. Thomas fumbled at the 1-yard line, and Damian Swann scooped the ball for a 99-yard fumble return touchdown to give the Bulldogs a 14-7 lead.

The Georgia Tech B Backs continued to gash the Georgia defense as Zach Laskey and Synjyn Days combined for 234 yards on 42 carries, and Laskey would score a pair of second-half touchdowns to give Tech the lead at 21-17. After an onside kick caught Georgia napping and was recovered by the Yellow Jackets, the ACC Coastal champions appeared to have the game wrapped up with less than three minutes remaining, the lead and the ball in Georgia territory.

But that plan was not to be, as Thomas fumbled for the second time in the second half and gave the ball back to Georgia. Georgia drove the field, and on fourth-and-goal, Hutson Mason hit Malcolm Mitchell with 18 seconds remaining. The narrative was set: Mitchell catching the game-winning touchdown after his injury issues, Mason beating Tech for the second time after biding his time in the program and Georgia continuing the course of its recent domination of the rival Yellow Jackets.

And yet...

After Thomas scrambled to set up a 53-yard field goal with four seconds remaining, Harrison Butker hit a career long (by four yards, and a season long by seven yards) that barely cleared the crossbar. Laskey scored his third touchdown of the day in overtime, but the ensuing extra point would be blocked by Drew. Georgia would just need a touchdown and the extra point to win and avoid a second overtime period, but Mason was intercepted by D.J. White to end the game and the Bulldogs' winning streak over Georgia Tech.