We have reached the sixth week of the 2018 softball season. Suffice it to say, it’s been an eventful couple weeks on the diamond. And it figures to be heating up even more with conference play in full swing. We get a break from that though in midweek action this week. Here’s what’s going down.
TOP GAMES TO WATCH
Texas vs. South Carolina — Tuesday, 6 p.m. ET, SEC Network/WatchESPN
On Tuesday, we’ll see two teams who find themselves in the Top 40 of the RPI face off against each other. The Texas Longhorns will take on the South Carolina Gamecocks in Columbia. South Carolina is 19-1 at this point of the year and ranks 18th in the the USA TODAY Coaches Poll. The Longhorns, meanwhile, are 9-10 and find themselves going through it to this point. This will be an opportunity for South Carolina to protect their home field and avoid a loss to a middling opponent.
Illinois vs. Missouri — Wednesday, 3 p.m. ET/5 p.m. ET
The Arch Rivalry will hit St. Charles, Missouri on Wednesday. A doubleheader will be scheduled between the 11-8 Illini and the 16-10 Tigers. Mizzou is looking to bounce back after being swept by 4th-ranked Tennessee over the weekend in their opening series of conference play. With Mississippi State looming later this week, this will provide a chance for them to rebound.
WHAT ELSE IS GOING ON...
- Alabama will face Georgia Tech on Wednesday in Atlanta (6 p.m. ET)
- LSU will face Western Kentucky on Tuesday (7 p.m ET/SEC Network+/WatchESPN)
- Ole Miss will face SE Louisiana on Wednesday (6 p.m. ET)
- Texas A&M faces UConn on Thursday (7 p.m. ET/SEC Network+/WatchESPN)
- Georgia and their top-flight offense will be hosting Bucknell for a doubleheader on Wednesday. The games will be at 1 and 3 p.m. ET and will be televised on SEC Network+/WatchESPN.
- Kentucky tackles Northern Illinois on Tuesday and rival Indiana on Wednesday. The game against NIU is the first game of the day in the SEC on Tuesday, at 3 p.m. ET (which is just around the corner!). You can find it on SEC Network+/WatchESPN, just as you can for the game against IU, which will be at the same time.
- Mississippi State will battle Samford and Memphis on Tuesday and Wednesday in road matchups. Both games have 7 p.m. ET start times.
- The 24-1 Tennessee Volunteers are taking part in the Bank of Hawaii Rainbow Wahine Classic out in Honolulu. The Vols will face Cleveland State (7 p.m. ET) and North Dakota (9:30 p.m. ET) on Wednesday. Then, they will face North Dakota (8:30 p.m. ET) and Hawaii on Thursday/Friday (1 a.m. ET).