We’ve reached Week 5 of SEC baseball. It’s hard to believe we’re already through a month-plus of the season, but here we are. Let’s see what lies ahead for hte SEC this week.
TOP GAMES TO WATCH
Florida State vs. Florida — Tuesday, 6 p.m. ET, SEC Network+/WatchESPN
The Sunshine State Rivalry will go down on Tuesday night, as UF hosts FSU in Gainesville. Florida and Florida State are two of the best teams in the country to this point. FSU is 14-2 while Florida stands at 15-3. This could prove to be a big win for the Gators if they are to pull it off. As of March 12, the Seminoles rank sixth in the RPI.
Ole Miss vs. Georgia State — Tuesday, 6 p.m. ET/Wednesday, 3 p.m. ET
Ole Miss will have a sturdy test of their own with a two-game midweek series against Georgia State coming up. The Panthers rank 12th in the RPI right now, with an 11-4 record to stand on. They are 7-3 at home and stand as one of the best teams from the Fun Belt.
Georgia Tech vs. Auburn — Tuesday, 7 p.m. ET
Georgia Tech and Auburn are both currently in the Top 10 in the RPI, which makes Tuesday night’s showing an intriguing one. The Yellow Jackets are merely 9-6, but they’ve had a bit of a tough road so far. They’ve faced three Top 40 teams (Bradley, Clemson and Georgia State) and 5 Top 100 teams (Bradley, Clemson, Georgia State, UIC and UConn) so far. Auburn is the fourth Top 40 team and sixth Top 100 team, and the second Top 5 team to go along with Clemson. We’ll see if Auburn can beat the battle-tested Yellow Jackets on Tuesday evening.
Wichita State vs. Mizzou — Tuesday, 7:30 p.m. ET, SEC Network+/WatchESPN
The 13-3 Missouri Tigers will welcome the 12-2 Wichita State Shockers to Columbia on Tuesday night. The Tigers have been terrific to start the season, but the Shockers have well. They come into Tuesday having won their last three games and four of their last five. In that time span, they have scored an average of 5.8 runs and allowed an average of 2.2. Mizzou’s pitching had a lights out weekend, so we’ll see if that trend can continue.
South Alabama vs. LSU — Wednesday, 7:30 p.m. ET, SEC Network+/WatchESPN
LSU will face a stern test on Wednesday in the form of South Alabama. The Jaguars, at 9-7, have had a tough road so far, but still figure to be one of the better teams in the nation. They’ve had a tough road, like Georgia Tech, as they’ve faced Oklahoma, Indiana, Southern Miss, Auburn and Texas Tech this year. All five of which are in the Top 100 of the RPI. LSU won’t match that, as they rank in the 110s, but this matchup should be intriguing if nothing else.
WHAT ELSE IS GOING ON...
- Alabama plays a 2-game series against Alabama A&M. They play Tuesday night (7 p.m. ET, SEC Network+/WatchESPN) and Wednesday at the same time.
- Arkansas has a 2-game series against Texas this week. The Longhorns and Razorbacks will play on Tuesday night (8 p.m. ET, SEC Network/WatchESPN) and Wednesday evening (5 p.m. ET, SEC Network+/WatchESPN).
- In addition to a matchup with Georgia Tech, Auburn also plays Memphis on Wednesday night (7 p.m. ET, SEC Network+/WatchESPN).
- Georgia has one game this week, a matchup with Kennesaw State on Tuesday (5 p.m. ET, SEC Network+/WatchESPN).
- Mississippi State also has one game this week. They play SE Louisiana on Wednesday night at 7:35 p.m. ET.
- South Carolina will play Harvard on Wednesday afternoon (4 p.m. ET, SEC Network+/WatchESPN).
- Tennessee plays against Western Carolina on Wednesday afternoon (4 p.m. ET, SEC Network+/WatchESPN).
- Texas A&M will tackle UT Arlington Tuesday night (7:30 p.m. ET, SEC Network+/WatchESPN).
- Finally, Vanderbilt will look to keep the ball rolling against Eastern Kentucky on Wednesday night (7:30 p.m. ET, SEC Network+/WatchESPN).