What Happened Last Night
- Florida State 83, Florida 66: Well, that was unexpected. Florida hosted Florida State after an eight-day layoff, and the Gators entered the game as 9.5-point favorites... and got drilled. The most disturbing part was that Florida State didn’t shoot all that well; instead, the Seminoles murdered the Gators on the boards (Florida State grabbed 50 percent of its own misses) and forced 17 turnovers. That’s how you beat a top-5 team by 17 on the road while shooting just 7-of-23 from three. Jalen Hudson led Florida with 16 points.
|7:00 PM||Winthrop at Georgia||SEC Network/WatchESPN|
|8:00 PM||Colorado State at Arkansas||SEC Network+/WatchESPN|
|9:00 PM||Texas A&M vs. Arizona||ESPN2/WatchESPN|
|9:00 PM||Miami (OH) at Missouri||SEC Network/WatchESPN|
The big one tonight is the “neutral-court” showdown between Texas A&M and Arizona — being played in Phoenix, which is probably going to be a partisan crowd for the Wildcats, but this still qualifies as a neutral court. Texas A&M is currently ranked 7th in the country and is one of just two remaining undefeated teams in the SEC (along with Mississippi State) and one of just 13 in the country.
The Aggies already boast neutral-court wins over West Virginia, Oklahoma State, and Penn State, and a road win over USC. Arizona is a bit disappointing at 5-3, but if Texas A&M wins here, we can start talking about the Aggies as a potential #1 seed in the NCAA Tournament. Their early-season resume is that good.
In the early game on the SEC Network, Georgia faces a Winthrop team that’s 5-3, but three of those wins came against non-Division I competition, and they got drilled (119-85) by Auburn a couple of weeks ago. Arkansas hosts Colorado State, who’s an unimpressive 4-4, though the Rams did beat Colorado at home their last time out. And Missouri hosts a Miami (Ohio) team that’s ranked 307th in KenPom.
Bad Gambling Advice
Last Night: 1-0 ATS; Season to Date: 25-21 ATS
- Winthrop (+12.5) at Georgia: Georgia’s 6-1 with impressive wins over St. Mary’s and Marquette their last two times out, but they’ve had a tendency to play things close to the vest against subpar competition early on, with single-digit wins over the likes of USC Upstate, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, and Fullerton. I think the Bulldogs win but don’t cover.
- Colorado State at Arkansas (-16.5): Yes, Arkansas got drilled by Houston the last time out, but (a) that was on the road and (b) Houston is pretty good. This one’s at Bud Walton Arena and Colorado State is not very good, and Arkansas doesn’t play around with teams like this.
- Texas A&M vs. Arizona (+2): I think Texas A&M is good, but they’re playing a bit over their heads right now and Arizona is probably undervalued with this line, so I will take the Wildcats.
- Miami-Ohio at Missouri (-22.5): This is a big line, but in two games against teams outside the KenPom top 200, Missouri has won by an average of 40 points. They can pretty much name the final score in this one.