In this year’s Iron Bowl, then-ranked No. 6 Auburn ended then-No. 1 Alabama’s 32-game regular season winning streak with a 26-14 home victory at Jordan Hare Stadium. It was Auburn’s first Iron owl victory since 2013.
With the victory, the Tigers clinched a spot in the Southeastern Conference Championship game against Georgia, who they defeated two weeks before. However, Auburn fell to the Bulldogs 28-7 in the title game and kept them out of the College Football Playoff. Despite winning the SEC West division and holding a victory over the Crimson Tide, Alabama was ranked No. 4 in the final CFP poll and made the playoff for a fourth consecutive season.
Here were the five CFB games this year that exceeded 10 million TV viewers:
1. Iron Bowl: Alabama-Auburn (CBS) Nov. 25: 13.657 million viewers.
2. SEC title game: Georgia-Auburn (CBS) Dec. 2: 13.466 million viewers.
3. Big 10 title game: Ohio State-Wisconsin (Fox): Dec. 2: 12.918 million viewers.
4. Florida State-Alabama (ABC): Sept. 2: 12.335 million viewers.
5. Ohio State-Michigan (Fox): Nov. 25: 10.507 million.