For those of you who only care about football, November 11 is Veteran’s Day, just another Friday, or possibly the day to watch your local high school team.
For college basketball fans, November 11 is the day we’ve been waiting for since last April. College basketball tips off tonight, and 12 Southeastern Conference teams (everybody but LSU and Missouri) is in action tonight. Most of the games are about what you’d expect, though there are a couple of games that could be good ones tonight.
If you want to know what’s going on, I’ve got you covered. Here are the links to my SEC basketball preview series (in order of projected finish):
- Texas A&M
- South Carolina
- Mississippi State
- Ole Miss
|Marquette vs. Vanderbilt||6:30 PM||CBS Sports Network|
|Louisiana Tech at South Carolina||6:30 PM||SEC Network+ / WatchESPN|
|Stephen F. Austin at (2)Kentucky||7:00 PM||SEC Network / WatchESPN|
|Tennessee-Martin at Ole Miss||7:00 PM||SEC Network+ / WatchESPN|
|Chattanooga at Tennessee||7:00 PM||SEC Network+ / WatchESPN|
|Georgia at Clemson||7:00 PM||ACC Extra / WatchESPN|
|Florida Gulf Coast at Florida||7:30 PM||SEC Network+ / WatchESPN|
|Fort Wayne at Arkansas||8:00 PM||SEC Network+ / WatchESPN|
|Norfolk State at Mississippi State||8:00 PM||SEC Network+ / WatchESPN|
|Coastal Carolina at Alabama||9:00 PM||SEC Network+ / WatchESPN|
|Northwestern State at Texas A&M||9:00 PM||SEC Network / WatchESPN|
|North Florida at Auburn||9:30 PM||SEC Network+ / WatchESPN|
Odds and Picks
(Odds are via oddsshark.com)
- Vanderbilt (-1.5) vs. Marquette: This should be one of the better games on the evening as these two meet in Annapolis in the Veterans’ Classic in what should be an evenly-matched game. Both teams are losing first-round draft picks (or two, in Vanderbilt’s case) and Vanderbilt has a new coach, but I’ll take the Commodores in what should be a close one.
- Louisiana Tech (+10) at SOUTH CAROLINA: The Gamecocks practically have an entirely new frontcourt; LaTech is a quality mid-major that’s won 106 games over the last four years. I don’t think the Bulldogs will win outright, but I like them to cover 10 as South Carolina works out the kinks.
- Georgia (+5) at CLEMSON: Given these two teams’ preferred playing styles, this will probably be a low-scoring game that will come down to the wire. Take Georgia and the points here.
- Chattanooga (+4) at TENNESSEE: The wrong team is favored here. Tennessee is headed for a rebuilding year; Chattanooga returns four starters off a 29-6 team. I like the Mocs not only to cover at +4 but to win outright.
- Tennessee-Martin at OLE MISS (-17.5): I’m not sold on Ole Miss, but I’m looking to fade a Tennessee-Martin team that loses three starters and their head coach, who took a job as an assistant coach after a 20-win season. Yeah. Expect the Rebels to win this one easily.
- Fort Wayne at ARKANSAS (-12): Last year, Fort Wayne ranked 63rd in offense and 249th in defense per kenpom.com. Arkansas is the more talented team here, and there will be plenty of scoring, which leans toward Arkansas winning by 15 or more.
- Coastal Carolina (+12) at ALABAMA: I don’t feel strongly either way here, but if forced to pick, I would bet a single-digit game is more likely than Alabama winning by 15 or more.
- No line: Stephen F. Austin at Kentucky; Florida Gulf Coast at Florida; Norfolk State at Mississippi State; Northwestern State at Texas A&M; North Florida at Auburn