Bumped from FanPosts -- ed.
Reorganize the out-of-control conference expansion into 7 BCS conferences based on region of the country. 10 teams each. 9-game conference schedule (everyone plays everyone). 1 out-of-conference BCS game (permanent rivals like FSU-Florida, GA Tech-UGA, Clemson-Sakerlina). 1 non-AQ game vs WAC, CUSA, etc. 1 FCS game against an in-state opponent. 12 regular season games.
No. 1 & No. 2 in each BCS conference play each other again in the Conference Championship game. 7 Champions enter an 8-team playoff with 1 at-large team. Takes 16 games to win the National Championship. 16 teams get a crack at it. 6 playoff games to be played at Rose, Fiesta, Cotton, Sugar, Orange, & a new bowl in the new Indianapolis Colts domed stadium. Game No. 7 the National Championship rotates between the bowl sites like it does now.
So this year, LSU goes 12-0 (9-0), Bama goes 11-1 (8-1) & they play each other again in the SEC Championship Game in Atlanta. 1 team wins & is the No. 1 seed. If Bama loses they're at-large team, maybe No. 6 seed. LSU loses & is No. 2 seed.
|Big East||Atlantic Coast||Southeastern||Southwest|
|Boston College||Maryland||Florida||Louisiana State|
|Connecticut||Virginia Tech||South Carolina||Arkansas|
|Rutgers||North Carolina||Wake Forest||Oklahoma|
|Penn State||North Carolina State||Tennessee||Oklahoma State|
|West Virginia||Clemson||Alabama||Texas A&M|
|Cincinnati||Georgia Tech||Auburn||Texas Tech|
|Kentucky||Florida State||Mississippi||Texas Christian|
- Finally a real eastern conference w/ Penn St as the anchor
- ACC classic w/ instate rivals Va Tech & Miami added in
- SEC loses the geographic outliers Arkansas, LSU, Kentucky & picks up NC w/ Wake
- Old SWC & Big 12 South
|Big Ten||Great Midwest||Pacific||Ind.|
|Michigan State||Missouri||UCLA||Air Force|
|Minnesota||Boise State||Washington State|
- B1G classic w/ an Iowa for ND trade
- a new conference is born, the GMC stretches from Illinois to Oregon
- PAC-10 classic
- military schools are Ind by themselves
- somehow this worked out for each conference to have 2 private schools except GMC w/ just BYU
- conferences designed to promote what makes college football fun - rivalry game
After the 70 BCS schools, there are 55 non-AQ teams in 4 conferences. They play in a conference championship game. Maybe the right 13-0 non-AQ team w/ enough BCS wins during their undefeated season could earn the at-large bid.
|Western Athletic||Conference USA|
|New Mexico||UNLV||East Carolina||Louisiana Tech|
|Colorado State||San Jose State||Birmingham||Houston|
|Wyoming||Fresno State||Southern Miss||Rice|
|Utah State||San Diego State||Central Florida||Southern Methodist|
- mid-tier conferences. WAC on the left coast
- CUSA on the right. USF gets screwed but no directional schools playing in off campus stadiums in the BCS!
|UMass||Toledo||Florida Atlantic||Arkansas State|
|Temple||Bowling Green||Florida International||Louisiana Monroe|
|Buffalo||Eastern Michigan||South Alabama||Louisiana Lafayette|
|Ohio||Central Michigan||Troy||Texas State|
|Miami||Western Michigan||Georgia State||North Texas|
|Akron||Ball State||Middle Tennessee||UTSA|
|Kent State||Northern Illinois||Western Kentucky||New Mexico State|
bottom rung. 1 in the North & 1 in the South. 14-teams each