See this tag to find links to all coach comments from the April SEC coach conference call.
- South Carolina had a pretty good spring practice. Offensive line, quarterbacks, and special teams must get better. The team can "compete almost with everybody."
- Spurrier never thought as a younger man that he'd coach at age 65 (his current age), but getting old "comes quickly" and he still feels as good as he did 10 to 20 years ago. Winning the SEC at South Carolina is the "ultimate challenge," and he still hopes to do so.
- Alabama and Florida of the last two years are at the level everyone aspires to be at. Alabama has lost a lot of players from last year, but "they’re loaded. They’ve recruited extremely well. So does Florida. (chuckling) But so does FSU; so does Auburn." South Carolina has recruited well too, but there you hope to find 35-45 players to match up with the 85 the Alabamas and Floridas have. They'll always have more good players, but you can only play 11 at a time.
- The rising coordinator salaries around the league are "wonderful." He thinks there should be a rule requiring coordinators to be paid at least a quarter to a third of what their head coach makes.
- The new taunting rule that could take away a score if the unsportsmanlike conduct happens before the player crosses the goal line is "a good rule."
- His goal as a coach is never to be fired. So far, so good. He hopes in four to five years to be able to "hang it up on my own."
- He's feeling hopeful about his offensive line because of the new freshmen coming in and new line coach Shawn Elliott.
- He hasn't heard anything about the SEC expanding but has heard maybe that Arkansas might go to the Big 12. Unprompted, he said Notre Dame should join the Big Ten so that it must play a conference schedule.
- Stephen Garcia sometimes plays like he's gotten better, but sometimes he doesn't. Hopefully film study this summer will help him to learn the plan behind each play and improve his decision making. Freshman QB Connor Shaw will be ready if called upon, and competition at the position is good.