Everyone knows Florida has three Heisman Trophy winners: Steve Spurrier, Danny Wuerffel, and Tim Tebow. But, did you know just how connected they all are?
- All three are quarterbacks.
- Spurrier coached Wuerffel, the only such coach-player combination in Heisman history.
- Wuerffel and Tebow are both left handed.
- All three hail from the coastal areas of Florida. Spurrier was born Miami in Miami Beach, Wuerffel played high school ball at Fort Walton Beach, and Tebow played high school ball in Ponte Vedra Beach.
- All three are preacher's kids. Spurrier's father was a Presbyterian minister, Wuerffel's father is an Air Force chaplain, and Tebow's parents are missionaries.
- All three wore odd numbers: Spurrier was No. 11, Wuerffel wore No. 7, and Tebow wears No. 15.
- There are four spaces between Wuerffel's 7 and Spurrier's 11, and four more between 11 and Tebow's 15.
- That means that the total space between Wuerffel's 7 and Tebow's 15 is eight, which happens to be the number of Florida's only Heisman runner up, Rex Grossman.
What does all this mean? Probably nothing, though it is good fun. Then again, if you see the Gators sign a highly regarded quarterback from Vero Beach who loves the number 3 and is the son of a priest, well, you heard it here first.